The last Monday of May each year is a US national holiday made to celebrate the brave men and women who have protected and served our country. And with Memorial Day drawing near, summer’s not far behind. Here are 5 ways to celebrate Memorial Day with children.
- No matter what the occasion, a fireworks show is always sure to be a spectacular site to see. This Memorial Day weekend amaze your kids by taking them to see a firework display.
North Hempstead’s Memorial Day Commemoration and Fireworks
- Where: North Hempstead Beach Park, 175 W Shore Rd, Port Washington, NY 11050
- When: Saturday 5/23
- Park opens at 6:30 with a beachfront concert featuring Skyline Orchestra and TUSK. Fireworks start at 9:15.
- $10 parking fee
- The Jones Beach Air Show is a Long Island Memorial Day Tradition that is sure to astound kids of all ages. The U.S Air Force Thunderbirds are joining performers for the first time since 2011. We’re sure you won’t want to miss this! Try to arrive early. The parking lot fills up fast.
- Where: Jones Beach Amphitheater, 1000 Ocean Pkwy, Wantagh, NY 11793
- When: Saturday 5/23 and Sunday 5/24
- 12:00pm- 5:00pm
- $10 parking fee
- There’s few things kids love more than a carnival. So this Memorial Day weekend why not take advantage of one of Long Island’s festivals and fairs?
Huntington YMCA 23rd Annual Memorial Week Carnival
- Where: Huntington YMCA, 60 Main Street, Huntington NY, 11873
- When: Thurs 5/21: 6-10pm, Fri 5/22: 6-11pm, Sat 5/23– Sun 5/24: 1-11pm & Mon 5/24: 1-7pm
- Cost: FREE admission and parking. Pay for rides and games or POP
- Montauk is a beautiful staycation spot for Long Islanders all summer long. Kick off the summer season at Memorial Day Weekend on the Montauk Green. After the flag ceremony, you and your kids can enjoy Montauk’s annual art show and check out some great local artwork.
Montauk Memorial Day Flag Ceremony on the Montauk Green
- Where: Montauk Green, 742 Montauk Hwy, Montauk NY, 11954
- When: Friday 5/22 – 5/24; Flag Ceremony 5/25: 8am
- What better way to celebrate Memorial Day than watching a parade? Bringing your kids to a Memorial Day parade is a great way to teach them about the day and what it means.
Merrick’s Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony
- Where: Merrick Ave and Veterans Plaza
- When: Monday 5/25
- Parade begins at 9:30am, ceremony at 10:45am
- Cost: FREE
Leave a Reply