As the calendar flips to the 2014 holiday season, there are many events that signal its arrival. But there are none more symbolic and fun as holiday tree and menorah lightings on Long Island.
To help you find some local Christmas tree and menorah lightings on Long Island, Your Local Kids offers a comprehensive events calendar, as well as a Long Island Family Guide. In addition, we’ve put together a list of some of the best holiday events in both Suffolk County and Nassau County to help you and your family find some holiday fun this season.
Many on this list are sponsored by Long Island towns and villages, and provide entertainment, refreshments and/or an appearance by Santa; others are sponsored by historic sites, local organizations or other entities. Please contact the municipality or event sponsor for more information.
- Jones Beach: Holiday Lights Spectacular; check website or contact Jones Beach Theater for admission fees; starts every day at dusk; runs through January 4.
- Farmingdale Village: Chamber of Commerce holiday parade, 12 p.m.
- Tanger Outlets: Holiday STYLE Festival and Tree Lighting at the Arches, Tanger Outlets Deer Park, 3 p.m.; ice skating rink opens to the public at 6:30 p.m.
- Hicks Nurseries: Annual Christmas at Hicks, Arrival of Santa, November 28, Westbury, all day; live reindeer arrive November 29; runs through December 23.
- Montauk: Annual lighting the Lighthouse, 4:30 p.m.
- Village of Massapequa Park: Annual holiday tree and menorah lighting, Park Boulevard and Front Street, 5 p.m.
- Long Beach: Boardwalk Lights, Long Beach to Magnolia Boulevards, 5 p.m.; runs through mid-January.
- Farmingdale-Bethpage Historical Society: Annual holiday tree lighting, village green, Farmingdale, 6:30 p.m.
- East Williston Village: Annual holiday tree lighting, village green, 7 p.m.
- Hempstead Village: Annual holiday tree lighting, 4:30 p.m.
- Rockefeller Center: Annual tree lighting, 30 Rockefeller Center, Manhattan, 7 p.m.; remains lit and on display till January 7.
- Smithtown Chamber of Commerce: Annual holiday tree lighting, Veteran’s Plaza (Kings Park Library), 4 p.m.
- Bayard Cutting Arboretum State Park: Annual holiday tree lighting, Great River, 5:30 p.m.
- Farmingdale Village: Annual holiday tree lighting, Gerngras Park, 6 p.m.
- Long Beach: Annual holiday tree lighting, Kennedy Plaza, 6 p.m.
- North Brookhaven Chamber of Commerce: Annual visit with Santa and holiday tree lighting, Town Hall, Islip, 6 p.m.
- Copiague Chamber of Commerce: Annual holiday tree lighting, Great Neck Road and Oak Street, Copiague, 6:30 p.m.
- Orient Beach State Park: Annual holiday tree lighting, Orient, 6:30 p.m.
- Babylon Town: Annual holiday tree lighting, Town Hall, Lindenhurst, 7 p.m.
- Islip Town: Annual holiday tree lighting, Town Hall, Islip, 7 p.m.
- Port Jefferson Chamber of Commerce: 19th Annual Charles Dickens Festival 2014 Holiday Event, Port Jefferson Village, Festival of Trees Celebration, 5 p.m.; runs through December 7.
- Long Beach: Annual Winter Wonder Fest, Long Beach Ice Arena, 10 a.m.
- Village of Amityville: Holiday home tour, followed by annual tree lighting, village center, Broadway, 5 p.m.
- Belmont Lake State Park: Annual holiday tree lighting, West Babylon, 4:15 p.m.
- St. James Chamber of Commerce: Annual holiday tree lighting, Deepwells Farm County Park, St. James, 4:30 p.m.
- Westhampton Chamber of Commerce: Annual holiday tree and menorah lighting, village green, Westhampton, 6:30 p.m.
- Garden City: Annual holiday tree lighting, 3:30 p.m.
- Lindenhurst Village: Annual Santa in the Park, afternoon, Village Square Park, followed by annual holiday parade and tree lighting, Monument Plaza, Hoffman and Wellwood Avenues, approximately dusk.
- Malverne: Annual holiday tree lighting, 5 p.m.
- Stony Brook Village: Holiday Festival, 1 p.m., with annual holiday tree lighting, village center, 5:30 p.m.
- Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park: Annual holiday tree lighting, Oyster Bay, 5:30 p.m.
- Smithtown Chamber of Commerce: Annual menorah lighting, Veteran’s Plaza (Kings Park Library), 4 p.m.
- St. James Chamber of Commerce: Annual menorah lighting, triangle, Route 25A and Lake Avenue, St. James, Friday, 4 p.m., remaining days through December 23, 5:30 p.m.
- Long Beach: Annual Bach Menorah Lighting, Kennedy Plaza, 5 p.m.; will be lit all eight days of Chanukah.
- Islip Town: Annual menorah lighting, Town Hall, Islip, 5 p.m.
- Hempstead Town: 10th Annual Kwanzaa Celebration, Nathan L. H. Bennett Pavilion, next to Town Hall, 3:30 p.m.
Note that within communities listed here, there are more holiday tree lightings sponsored by fire departments, chambers of commerce, churches, hospitals and the like; feel free to make us aware of them by adding the details in the comments section below.
And if you’re looking to make your own family fun at home, check out our tips for holiday baking with your kids and how to entertain your kids during holiday parties this season.
Leave a Reply