Autumn is here and Long Island is filled with the beautiful colors of fall. As the weather cools down, it’s a great time of year to be outside and enjoy some fall activities with the family. One of the best traditions around this time of year is pumpkin picking at one of the many local farms in Nassau and Suffolk counties. Your Local Kids has the best places to bring the family for a delightful day of pumpkin picking, as well as some helpful tips to follow for both safety and fun.
Tip #1: Dress For the Occasion
The day may start out warm and become chilly as the afternoon progresses, so bring a sweatshirt or a light jacket in the event the weather changes. Also, be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes that you’re okay with getting dirty, as you’ll be spending a good amount of time walking outdoors and through the pumpkin patch.
Tip #2: Call to Check the Hours of Operation
It’s always a good idea to quickly phone the farm you’re headed to before leaving the house. Verify their location and hours of operation. Many farms do not accept credit cards, so it’s always a good idea to bring cash or ask if they have an ATM on-site.
Tip #3: Bring a Wagon
Some farms have wagons or carts they’ll permit you to use while you’re pumpkin picking, but it doesn’t hurt to bring your own. Young kids may grow tired of all the walking and choose to sit in the wagon, and you don’t want to have to lug your pumpkins around in your arms the whole time you’re enjoying the day!
Tip #4: Look for Discounts
Some farms will offer discounts, so try to inquire about any current promotions when possible. If the farm has a website or Facebook, take a look at it beforehand to see if there’s any special offers.
Tip #5: Know how to Pick the Perfect Pumpkin
Depending on how you use your pumpkins, the staff at the farm will be able to offer you direction. If you use pumpkins for carving, you want to make sure the pumpkin is firm all over and does not have any soft spots. If you’re painting your pumpkin, choose one with a smooth exterior and flat bottom. If it’s for eating, you’ll want it to be a bright, healthy orange and a heavier weight. Consider how you want to use your pumpkin while you’re out picking it.
270 West Lane – Aquebogue, NY
Phone number: (631) 722-3467
- Pumpkin picking, pony rides, hay rides, a corn maze and a country store.
1624 Manatuck Boulevard – Bay Shore, NY
Phone number: (631) 665-5411
- Special attractions, hayrides, animal feeding, pumpkin picking, and a country store.
19 Horsemill Lane – Bridgehampton, NY
Phone number: (631) 537-6154
- An 8-acre corn maze with corn ten feet tall, plus pick-your-own pumpkins, gourds, and squash.
633 Victory Avenue – Brookhaven, NY
Phone number: (631) 286-7876
- Features pumpkin picking and a 10-acre corn maze.
812 Sound Avenue – Calverton, NY 11933
Phone number: (631) 929-4327
- Pick-your-own pumpkins and gourds, a corn maze for all ages.
28700 Main Road – Cutchogue, NY
Phone number (631) 734-6441
– Pumpkin and apple picking at historic farm dating back to 1661. Wagon rides on Saturdays and on major school holidays in October.
6 Bagatelle Road – Dix Hills, NY
Phone number: (631) 540-FARM
- A play area, bouncy house, cornstalks, pumpkin picking and a train ride.
56 Gnarled Hollow Road – East Setauket, NY
Phone number: (631) 689-8172
- Pumpkin picking, a Haunted Hayride, and old-fashioned music.
1500 E. Jericho Turnpike – Huntington, NY
Phone number: (631) 368-8626
- Features fresh pumpkins grown on the vine, as a well as a child corn maze and hay ride.
200 Herricks Lane – Jamesport, NY
Phone number: (631) 722-3259
- Bouncy houses, pumpkin picking, live music, baked goods, and more.
1223 Main Road – Jamesport, NY
Phone number: (631) 722-2022
- A 6-acre interactive corn maze, u-pick pumpkins on the vine, and hayrides.
480 Hempstead Avenue – Malverne, NY
Phone number: (516) 881-7900
- The closest organic farm to New York City; offers pumpkins and hosts an annual Oktoberfest.
715 Sound Avenue – Mattituck, NY
Phone number: (631) 298-0800
- Home to the ‘Barnyard Adventure’ park, two pumpkin patches, two corn mazes, hayrides, pony rides, and more!
26 Pinelawn Road – Melville, NY
Phone number: (631) 271-FARM
- Pumpkin picking, rides, slides, farm animals, hayrides, a haunted mansion, and more.
250 Old County Road – Melville, NY
Phone number: (631) 351-9373
- Features a fall festival with a petting zoo, aviary, bouncer park, hayrides, pumpkin picking, and more.
271 Yaphank-Middle Island Road – Middle Island, NY
Phone number: (631) 205-9579
- Pumpkin picking, a 12-acre maze, hay rides, and various snacks.
69 Atlantic Avenue – Oceanside, NY
Phone number: (516) 678-3535
- Pick your own pumpkins, pet the animals, and more!
5698 Sound Avenue – Riverhead, NY
Phone number: (631) 369-1111
- Open on weekends only: features pumpkin and apple picking and two corn mazes.
Borella’s Farm Stand
485 Edgewood Avenue – St. James, NY
Phone number: (631) 862-7330
- Hosts a Fall Harvest festival with pumpkin picking and many activities and attractions for families.
6242 Middle Country Road – Wading River, NY
Phone number: (631) 886-2272
- Pumpkin picking, a 5-acre corn maze, picnic area, and many attractions. Handicapped accessible.
240 Montauk Highway – Watermill, NY
Phone number: (631) 726-4667
- Corn maze, wagon rides, roasted corn, pumpkin and apple picking.
After picking the perfect pumpkin together, be sure to enjoy some roasted corn or apple cider to celebrate the season. For more fun things to do on Long Island, be sure to visit the Your Local Kids Event Calendar.
Leave a Reply