Farming on Long Island dates back centuries and has always been an important industry here at home. According to the Long Island Farm Bureau, the soil, sunshine, and easy access to fresh water make Long Island an ideal location for a variety of different crops. Although there are a multitude of independent farms throughout the region, many people are not aware which farms practice natural pest control and which use chemical pesticides. Your Local Kids Source supports organic farmers and buying local produce. Here are some reasons buying organic is a great choice for your family, as well as some of our favorite local Organic Farms right here on Long Island.
- Reason #1: Organic Foods taste better and contain Fewer Chemicals
If you’ve ever eaten a fresh apple right off of a tree, or a tomato straight from the vine, then you know there is simply no comparison between organic food and conventional food. Of course, many pesticides that are in use today are approved by the FDA, but in many cases there have been little to no long-term testing done measuring the effects on the human body or digestive system.
- Reason #2: You’re Protecting Family Farms and Local Businesses
One of the greatest benefits of purchasing local organic food is that you’re protecting small businesses right here on Long Island and supporting family farms. With genetic modification of food being more and more prevalent in today’s society, many small farms are unable to keep up with the amount of production and low prices offered by larger conventional farms.
- Reason #3: In General, Organic Food is Healthier
Not only are you avoiding ingesting unnecessary nasty chemicals or pesticides when eating organic, but also most organic fruits and vegetables contain a greater amount of nutritional benefits, such as essential vitamins and minerals. In fact, as reported by NPR, antioxidants are more prevalent in organic fruits and vegetables. Co-author of the study, Charles Benbrook, from WSU’s Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources, stated: “Across the important antioxidant compounds in fruits and vegetables, organic fruits and vegetables deliver between 20 and 40 percent higher antioxidant activity.” That’s a significant increase, and certainly stands as an added benefit of buying organic.
Here are some of our favorite Organic Farms on Long Island:
375 Main Street – Amagansett, NY
Has a small farm store that sells organic produce, wheat, berries, and more.
284 Town Lane – Amagansett, NY
- Offers fresh or roasted corn, over 75 different varieties of tomatoes, as well as potatoes, greens, flowers, herbs, and small grain.
555 Albany Avenue – Amityville, NY
- One of the earliest certified organic farms on Long Island. Also operates “Sophia Garden”, which is an organic garden project.
140 Bethpage-Sweet Hollow Road – Old Bethpage, NY
- A family farm located at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration practicing sustainable farming.
2806 River Road – Calverton, NY
- Offering fresh, local, certified organic vegetables to the public.
173 Wading River Road – Center Moriches, NY
- Sells organic veggies, perennials, annuals, herbs, fresh eggs, and produce.
540 Rocky Point Road – East Marion, NY
- Family owned wholesale growers of over 250 varieties of certified organic herb and vegetable plants.
540 Rocky Point Road – East Marion, NY
- One-of-a-kind retail store offering over 300 varieties of USDA Certified Organic herb and vegetable plants all grown on site.
43 Foxhurst Road – Huntington Station, NY
- Operates a farm stand selling organically grown vegetables.
211 Manor Lane – Jamesport, NY 11947
- A fourteen-acre Organic farm with a variety of certified organic fruits and vegetables and CSA memberships.
652 Peconic Bay Boulevard – Jamesport, NY
- The largest and longest established certified organic CSA farm serving all of Long Island and Queens.
25180 County Road 48 – Peconic, NY 11958
- A certified organic farm located on the North Fork of Long Island with hundreds of varieties.
4558 Sound Avenue – Riverhead, NY
Phone number: (631) 722-8777
- Organic vegetables, grocery items, hot menu, a u-pick garden and much more!
3005 Youngs Avenue – Southold, NY 11971
- Specializes in providing unique and endangered vegetables to the community.
59945 Route 25 – Southold, NY
- Family-owned and operated organic farm using biodynamic practices.
829 Montauk Highway – Water Mill, NY
- An organic farm that operates a farm stand selling herbs, vegetables, fruit and flower plants as well as other goods.
What is your family’s favorite organic farm? Share it with us in the comments! For more great guides to everything fun on Long Island, be sure to stay up-to-date with our blog.